Who can attend a meeting?
Any adult who believes they have, or might have, a problem with addictive sexual behavior may attend an SAA meeting in the Austin area, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation (or lack thereof) or any other factor. The only restriction at this time is that a few meetings are designated for men-only or women-only or LGBTQ+; please respect these restrictions.
Meeting types are Open to visitors or For those seeking help.
- For those seeking help – these meetings are restricted to those who share our problem. If you believe you may suffer from sex addiction or compulsive sexual behavior, then you are welcome! These meetings are not open to journalists, spouses, or curious people.
- Open to visitors – these meetings are open to anyone interested in learning more about us. Open meetings may also be available through other SAA fellowships, or through Telemeetings (see next section).
Who can NOT attend a “for those seeking help” meeting?
Anyone who does not have a problem with addictive sexual behavior may NOT attend an SAA meeting designated as “For those seeking help.” This includes:
- Persons doing research for class projects
- Persons affected by their loved ones’ or family members’ addictive sexual behavior
- Curiosity seekers
- Persons looking for sexual partners
- Persons checking it out for a friend
- Helping professionals doing research on behalf of their clients, journalists, and researchers in the field of sexual addiction
Are there any requirements for attending meetings?
The only requirement is the desire to stop addictive sexual behavior.
My spouse/partner has a problem with sex addiction. Can I attend a meeting?
You many attend a meeting designated as Open to visitors. Austin-area meetings that are For those seeking help are exclusively for people who have a desire to stop addictive sexual behavior. Persons affected by their loved ones’ or family members’ addictive sexual behavior are encouraged to visit the SAA International web site, or investigate other organizations such as the COSA fellowship, at www.cosa-recovery.org.
Helping professionals doing research on behalf of their clients, journalists, and researchers in the field of sexual addiction can not attend meetings. Instead, please refer to the information on the For the Media link on the SAA International web site.
Are there any ‘Open to visitors’ meetings in the Austin area?
Yes, there are a few meetings designated by their own members as Open to Visitors. See the individual listings or search for that term on our meeting list page.
I am a student writing a paper on sex addiction and SAA. Can I attend an Austin-area meeting as part of my research?
You may only attend meetings designated ‘Open to visitors’ unless you consider yourself as struggling with obsessive compulsive or addictive sexual behavior. Meetings that are ‘Open to visitors’ are listed at our meeting list page. Most Austin-area meetings are designated ‘For those seeking help’, exclusively for people who have a desire to stop their own addictive sexual behavior.
What does it cost to join SAA?
There are no fees or dues. Local groups are self-supporting from voluntary contributions of their members.
How do I know whether the program is right for me?
If you feel powerless to curtail or stop the unhealthy behavior and you feel it is causing or may cause serious problems for your health, job, relationships, finances or any other aspect of your life, you might benefit from the program. The ISO of SAA website has good information on this page.
I think I have a sex addiction problem. Do I have to attend the Newcomers orientation meeting before I can attend any of the other meetings?
No. You can attend other meetings without attending the Newcomers meeting. However, since the Newcomers meeting is formatted specifically for persons new to our program, many people find that it provides a great jump start to working the program.
How do I find a meeting in the Austin area?
There are several resources for finding a meeting in the Austin area.
- Meeting List on this website
- Meeting Calendar on this website
- Downloadable Meeting List PDF
- Google Map of Austin-area meetings
I am traveling to a place where there are no SAA meetings. Does Austin have any online meetings that I can attend while I am out-of-town?
No, but there are telemeetings available through the ISO of SAA.